Why the 80/20 Rule For Weight Loss Works Long Term

  • by
Reading Time: 4 minutes

Ever heard of the 80/20 rule? Let’s break down why this rule is amazing not just for weight loss, but also for staying healthy in the long term!

One of the most frustrating things about most diets is that it simply isn’t feasible to stick with them over a long period of time. For the first few months, you might do super well committing to your diet. However, as time goes on, it can get harder and harder to restrict yourself. Eventually, you hit a wall and fall off the wagon. 

This is exactly why we’ve been drawn to the 80/20 rule. The concept is far more sustainable compared to other diets, and it still gives you the wiggle room to indulge now and then. 

Curious to learn more? Here’s everything you need to know about the 80/20 rule for weight loss!

What is the 80/20 Rule?

The idea behind this rule is pretty simple: you eat healthy 80 percent of the time, and indulge in less healthy food the other 20 percent of the time. The 20 percent of your diet is reserved for highly processed foods, foods with high saturated fat contents, refined carbs, white sugar, and alcohol. 

Some people choose to follow this rule by eating healthy during the week, and saving the 20 percent for the weekend. However, it tends to work best if you allow yourself to work those more indulgent items into your diet in moderation throughout the week. For example, you might have a cocktail tonight, and then a cookie for dessert tomorrow. 

By completely restricting yourself from treats during the week, you’re more likely to overeat by the time the weekend comes around, surpassing your 20 percent limit. On the other hand, by sticking with this rule throughout the week, you won’t feel like you’re restricting yourself – you’re still able to regularly enjoy those treats you crave!

Why the 80/20 Rule Works for Weight Loss in the Long Term

As you may have guessed, this rule works incredibly well for people looking to lose weight and keep it off because it’s all about moderation. So many other diets are centered around restriction. However, with this rule, you’re still allowed to enjoy indulgent food fairly regularly.

It’s so much easier to stick to eating healthy in the moment when you know you can still have that cupcake (or glass of wine, or side of fries, or slice of pizza…you get the picture) later! Rather than focusing on what you can’t have, you’ll mostly be eating nutrient-dense food while still enjoying the treats you love. 

Our Tips and Food Recommendations for the 80 Percent

If you’re looking to apply this rule to your eating habits, it’s important to understand exactly what kind of food you should be eating 80 percent of the time. You’ll want to fill your plate with highly nutritious food, including: 

  • Lean animal protein and plant-based protein (such as fish, chicken breast, beans, and lentils)
  • Whole grains
  • Low-fat dairy
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Healthy fat foods (such as olive oil, nuts, seeds, and avocado)

Superfoods are also incredibly helpful for ensuring you’re getting the best possible results when sticking to the 80/20 diet! We highly recommend checking out Superfood Tabs, Super Amazing Coffee, and the Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies and adding them to your routine. 

Our Superfood Tabs – which contain 15 plant-based superfoods – help fight cravings so that you can more easily stick to eating healthy 80 percent of the time. These powerful superfoods also minimize bloat, support digestion, detox the body, and increase your energy levels! The sugar-free tabs now come in two delicious (and guiltless!) flavors that will satisfy your sweet tooth: berry and peach.

Like Superfood Tabs, our Super Amazing Coffee also uses the power of superfoods to reduce cravings. Enjoying a cup in the morning is the perfect healthy start to your day! The 12 superfoods also work to boost energy and decrease brain fog while increasing metabolism. 

The final must-have is our Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies. They’re particularly great for supporting your body after indulging in that 20 percent! These vegan gummies support digestion, curb cravings, and boost metabolism. Added bonus: they’re the perfect tasty and guilt-free treat!

Look and Feel Your Best with Superfoods!

Ready to commit to the 80/20 way of eating? Be sure to grab some Superfood Tabs, Super Amazing Coffee, and Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies to help you look and feel incredible!

Looking for more health, wellness, and lifestyle articles? Click here to take a look at our blog!